Ginger and Licorice

Ginger and Licorice
Our cats and Labrador

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Too hungry to take pictures - Chicken Saltimbocca and Lemon-Basil Orzotto

I got distracted by something today and didn't realize it was dinner time until 6pm...so I hurriedly fed the pets and started with the cooking....sorry, no pictures today :(
Today's Main Dish Players: chicken breasts, ricotta, sage, and prosciutto for the main dish.

1.  I preheated the oven to 400 degrees and set about trying to butterfly (unsuccessfully) 3 Perdue Fit-n-Easy chicken breasts....have you ever tried to split something in half that is already thin?
2.  I then mixed together 1/2 cup ricotta cheese, 6 sage leaves that I had cut into ribbons, and the zest of 1/2 lemon.
3.  Next step was to put the ricotta-sage mixture inside the "butterflied" chicken breasts.  This didn't work out so well because I had difficulty butterflying the breasts in the first place...some of the filling was more under the breast than inside.
4.  Wrap the chicken breasts - filling and all - with the 2-3 slices of prosciutto, overlapping the slices as you wrap.
5.  Place the chicken breasts in an oven-safe dish and cook for 20-25 minutes.

*things I changed from the original recipe provided by Rachael Ray Stuffed Chicken Saltimbocca with Arugula and Tomato Salad a.  I didn't include the Parmesan in the filling; b.  I didn't prepare yesterday; c. I forgot to drizzle with extra virgin olive oil; d. I didn't make the panko-garlic topping*


Today's Side Dish Players: : olive oil, onion, orzo pasta, 1 lemon, frozen peas, half-and-half, white wine, chicken broth.
1.  Put 2 Tbsp in the bottom of a heavy-bottom stockpot and turn heat to medium-high.
2.  Add 1 cup diced onion to the olive oil and cook until just translucent.
3.  Add 1 1/2 cups orzo pasta to the pot and cook til just toasted - about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally
4. Stir in 1/2 cup white wine and cook until absorbed
5.  Gradually add 3 cups  low-sodium chicken broth, stirring frequently.
6. Bring to a simmer, lower the heat and cook, covered, 8-10 minutes until the liquid is almost all absorbed.
7.  Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 cup petite frozen peas, 2 tablespoons chiffonade (cut into ribbons) fresh basil, 1 tsp lemon zest, 1/4 half-and-half, 2-3 Tbsp lemon juice.

*things I changed from the original recipe provided by Kelsey Nixon Lemon-Basil Orzotto a.I didn't include Parmesan cheese; b. I used half-and-half instead of heavy cream.*


BGS and I really enjoyed these recipes.  They are very very tasty.  Hopefully they will be a jumping off point for me to put together my own pairings.

No comments:

Post a Comment