Ginger and Licorice

Ginger and Licorice
Our cats and Labrador

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Quiche and Orange-Berry Juice - it's what's for breakfast

Cooked last night:  I started with the Crustless Quiche recipe from Joy of Cooking.  I started by cutting 2 Jimmy Dean® Turkey Sausage Patties into bite-size pieces and placed them into my ungreased pie plate.  I then broke up and cut 2/3 cup of frozen broccoli into bite size pieces and scattered the pieces on top of the sausage.  On top of the sausage I layered 1 cup of 2% extra sharp shredded cheddar cheese.

In a bowl I mix 4 eggs, 1 1/2 light cream (aka half-&-half), 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper.   Once mixed, I pour the mixture over the sausage, cheese, and broccoli.  Some of the cheese and sausage was sticking up above the the egg mixture, so I used a spoon to push as much of the ingredients below the egg mixture.

I cooked the quiche at 350 for 30 minutes.  While it was cooking, I prepped the ingredients for the juice.  I started with 2 oranges and 1 cup of strawberries.  It didn't seem balanced, so I searched for a recipe that incorporated more flavors and I found Healthy Juicing Recipes.  I didn't have 4 oranges; I only had 2 so I'll make do and see how it tastes.

The juice is FANTASTIC.  BGS got mono somehow and has been requesting it for the vitamin C.
He did ask if I could make the quiche "taller"....The quiche pan is only so tall...It was full to the top when I put it in the oven, it settled a little in the cooking process.  Do they make taller quiche/pie pans?

No comments:

Post a Comment