Ginger and Licorice

Ginger and Licorice
Our cats and Labrador

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Breakfast Quinoa and Vitamin C Juice - it's what's for breakfast

I don't remember where or when, but I read somewhere recently that quinoa (properties and benefits) was an excellent source of nutrition.  So I set out looking for recipes that used it.  The first one I found was to cook the quinoa in pomegranate-green tea.  I wasn't allowed to try it because my numbers were way off the week before (both pomegranate and green tea affect my numbers).  BGS did try it and wasn't fond of it.  He said all he could taste was the tea.  He finished his serving that night, but asked if he could toss out the rest.  Ok...one recipe done...time to search for more...to the internet!


I found a recipe for a lunch/side dish that uses pistachios and dried pineapple....a savory dish that uses scallions, raisins, and chicken broth (2 savory lunch/side dish recipes now)...a main course/lunch dish that uses chopped chicken breast, scallions, cumin (3 savory dishes)...and then I found a quinoa rice pudding that even has the rum and raisins and  today's breakfast dish that sounded delicious!

Quinoa Players
Prep time: 5-6 minutes.  Cook time: appx 20 minutes
Today's Breakfast Main Dish Players (for 1 serving): 2% milk, water, quinoa, rolled oats, oat bran, walnuts, cinnamon,salt, vanilla extract, brown sugar, and dried cranberries.

I got smart...I got the ingredients gathered and prepped last night, including putting the sauce pan on the stove last night after I cleaned up dinner.  This included putting 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of milk in a container and storing it in the fridge. Next I measured 3 tablespoons rolled oats (I didn't have rolled oats in my pantry, so I used instant - more on this later), 2 tablespoons oat bran, 1 pinch of salt, 1 pinch ground cinnamon, and 1 handful - appx 1/4 cup dried cranberries).  I also retrieved a bag of frozen mixed fruit from the freezer that included strawberries, mangoes, peaches, and pineapple chunks and set it on the counter to defrost for the morning juice

*Yawn* -*stumble down stairs* *let dog out* *rub eyes* *stretch* "brew" Donut Shop coffee and retrieve my milk/water mix from the fridge when I get out my creamer.

1.  Pour the milk/water into the pot already on the stove and add 2 tablespoons quinoa and bring to a gentle boil....do not walk away like I did.  I nearly had the whole thing boil over on me.
2.  Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
3.  Stir in the cranberries, rolled oats, oat bran, salt, and cinnamon.
4.  Cook, stirring frequently over low heat for 2-5 minutes or until the mixture begins to thicken.
5.  Remove from heat and stir in 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts (or nut of your choice), 2 tsp brown sugar, and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract.

Serve immediately.   The recipe said that it should make two servings, given the fact that I doubled the recipe *all measurements above are 2x the original recipe at http://allrecipes.com/recipe/good-morning-banana-nut-cereal/detail.aspx*, but it seemed like barely enough for 1 person, so I gave the whole thing to BGS for breakfast.

I don't know if it's because I used instant oats or if there wasn't enough liquid after the water/milk almost boiled over.  It's probably a combination of the two.  Who knows.  Either way, he enjoyed it and from the tablespoon I saved for myself, it was mighty tasty.  We will definitively try this again with other "additives".

The Juice:  I put the defrosted 16 oz bag of strawberries, peach slices, mango chunks and pineapple chunks in the juicer.   Big Mistake: I only got 4 ozs of juice out.  Apparently our Breville juicer
doesn't handle soft fruits - like blueberries, strawberries, etc all that efficiently.  Next time I will put it in the blender...who knew  we would need a juicer and  a blender to make juices....oh well....good thing I have my Cuisinart Smart Stick Hand Blender so I won't have to wash the blender pitcher every time.

The juice tasted great anyway.  Just wish we had more of it :(

The photo is from today's juice has more chunks and bits in it, because I used the immersion blender instead of the juicer.  BGS was in a hurry to get to work, so I didn't pulse it all the way through.  BGS wasn't fond of the bits, but drank it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment