Ginger and Licorice

Ginger and Licorice
Our cats and Labrador

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Orange-Berry Bread and Muffins

Before I started making the juice this week I researched what to do with the pulp:  you can compost it or you can bake with it casseroles, baked goods, "fruit leathers" aka fruit roll-up things, or soup.  With all the juice I made this week using our Breville juicer, I had almost 3 cups of orange/blueberry/strawberry pulp in the fridge.  So I looked for a substitution guide....you know..what do I take out of a regular bread/muffin recipe in exchange for the pulp.  I knew I couldn't just add the pulp to a recipe; there's still a lot of water in the pulp.  I was unable to find a substitution guide on the internet.  I did find, however, find some muffin recipes that used pulp.

BGS asked why there was so much honey, but when I told him there's usually more sugar in baked goods...not to mention the added sugar from the fruit pulp, he understood.


Orange-Berry Muffin Players
Starting with the dry ingredients - today's players are: 2 cups whole wheat flour, 1 cup all purpose flour (You can use all whole wheat or all all-purpose, the recipes I found used one or the other), 1 tbsp baking soda, 2 tbsp cinnamon, 1 tsp nutmeg.           The wet ingredients are: 3 cups juicing pulp, 1 cup oil, 1 cup honey, and 6 egg whites,  and 1 tbsp vanilla. Optional: 1 cup blueberries (or other berry) and 1/2 cup sliced almonds (or your favorite nut)

1.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Dry ingredients before sifting.
2.  Put the juice pulp, egg whites, honey, vanilla , and oil in a mixing bowl and stir.
3.  Sift the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg together and gradually add to the liquids; stir until blended.
4.  Fold in the almonds and blueberries
5.  Pour or scoop the batter into lined muffin pans.  Make sure to leave some room at the top for expansion.
6.  Bake 45 minutes

 The recipe I found on the net said the recipe makes 1 dozen muffins, but I still had batter left, so I made a loaf, also.

 For the vast majority of you that don't have a juicer, you interchange the pulp with ...well, I'm not sure...One site said flour, but this recipe has 3 cups of pulp and 3 cups of flour....that would be 6 cups of flour which I KNOW can't be right....

I am usually looking for the obvious substitutions - like applesauce for oil or yogurt for eggs....this one I'm not sure about...I will keep looking.  Maybe I'll make this recipe next week without the pulp and see how it goes.....

Look for another baking recipe next weekend....we best get to noshing on those tasty muffins :)

No comments:

Post a Comment