Ginger and Licorice

Ginger and Licorice
Our cats and Labrador

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Multi-step/Multi-day/Multi-Recipe Chicken-Havarti-Pear Chutney Panini :)

The players - the ginger moved and the allspice was suddenly shy
I started with this Ginger-Pear Chutney Recipe from Food.com.  Thank goodness that site allows you to scale the recipe, because I didn't want to can the chutney.  I scaled it to make 5 half-pints...that means I used 4 1/4 chopped pears, 1 2/3 sugar, 1/2 cup seedless raisins (wait seedless? have you ever seen raisins with seeds???), 1/2 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger (that translated to my whole bottle of crystallized ginger from McCormick®), 1 1/4 cups cider vinegar, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground allspice, 1/4 tsp cloves.
The directions are wonderfully simple for the chutney:
1.  Combine all the ingredients in the pot and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
2. Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for about 1 1/2 hours, stir occasionally.
 - SEE? SIMPLE :)

Next day - cause I started the chutney around 5pm and we got hungry....
Whole Grain Chicken Havarti Pear Chutney Panini - makes 2 sandwiches
Today's players today are 6-8 tablespoons of the chutney, 4 slices of whole grain bread - some stores sell "Panini Bread" - it's a little taller and wider than regular bread you find in the bread aisle, 6-8 slices of sliced rotisserie chicken, 4 slices Havarti cheese, and olive oil for spreading - abt 2-3 tbsp.
1. Heat your griddle/panini press/pan to medium high
2. Brush olive oil on one side of each of the 4 slices
3. Assemble the sandwich by putting the oil side down (I assembled on a plate to make it easier) - spoon/spread 1-2 tablespoon(s) of chutney on the bread, layer 1-2 slices of havarti, 1-3 slices of chicken, 1-2 tablespoon (s) on the non-oil side of the bread and then stack the bread (chutney side down) on top of the chicken slices).
4. Place the assembled sandwich or sandwiches on the heated panini press or griddle.  If you are using the press, let it sit with the cover down for about 4-5 minutes.  If you are using a griddle or hot skillet, flip the sandwich at the halfway point - 2-3 minutes in order for both sides of the sandwich to get toasted.

I made the panini off the top of my head, just based on tastes I thought would taste good together.  Turns out I added a little too much chutney to the bread.  The resulting product was very sweet.  BGS ended up scraping half of it off before eating it.  He even accused of me of trying to make him diabetic.

I looked up chutney/panini recipes and most of them say 2 tbsp chutney for each sandwich, so I guess I over-did it.  *shrug*  Lesson learned :)

Sorry there are no photos of the panini - BGS was so hungry he took it before I could snap a shot.

It sure did taste good though :)

No comments:

Post a Comment