Ginger and Licorice

Ginger and Licorice
Our cats and Labrador

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Apples and Oranges and Pork....Oh My!

$200 and an admonition from my plumber later,  I'm back to cooking :)

My husband requested a break from chicken after last week's two chicken trials so I'm tackling a pork roast today. I started with the Orange-Apple Pork Roast recipe from Better Homes and Gardens Simple Slow Cooker Recipes  and improvised :)

The ingredients
Today's players:
1 2-2.5 lb pork loin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tbsp cooking oil - I used veg oil
1 16 oz bag baby carrots
1/2 of medium white onion - diced
1 1/2 cups applesauce
1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate- thawed
1/4 cup water
2 tbsp quick cooking tapioca
1 1/2 tsp dried thyme - crushed


1.  Trim fat (if any) from meat.  If necessary the meat to fit into 3 1/2 or 4 quart slow cooker base.  Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper on all sides (I had originally planned on using McCormick®'s Roasting Rub - Savory Herb, but I got a late start and forgot). In a large skillet , sear the meat on all sides then transfer to crock.  Add the carrots (and onion) on top.

Before turning the crockpot on
2.  In a bowl combine applesauce (I used chunky), orange juice concentrate, tapioca, thyme, and water.

3. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or high for 4 to 5 hours.

4.  Using a slotted spoon, transfer the meat and carrots to a serving dish.  Spoon some of the juice over the the pork and carrots.
The final tasty product

The pork was a touch dry and my husband complained that the carrots were not cooked long enough, but I like them with a little crunch to them.  All in all a good dish :)

I put the remaining orange juice concentrate in an ice cube tray and put it back in the freezer for future use :)

No comments:

Post a Comment