Ginger and Licorice

Ginger and Licorice
Our cats and Labrador

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

WW - Roast Chicken Breast with Potatoes and Asparagus - Tasty New Chicken Dish

You guessed it...another weight watchers dinner - again with chicken breasts from our freezer (who knows how many I have bought since then not realizing there were chicken breasts trapped in the freezer crying to be released).  I forgot photos..yeah, I'm slacking, I know...Today's Recipe is based on Roast Chicken Breast with Potatoes and Asparagus from  Dining For Two, from Weight Watchers Publishing Group.

Today's players:
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard, whole-grain
1 Tbsp fresh tarragon, or 1 teaspoon dried
1 clove(s) (medium) garlic clove(s), minced - I used jarred minced garlic (in oil)
1 tsp olive oil, or extra-virgin
1 tsp honey
1/2 tsp table salt
1 1/4 pound(s) Chicken, breast, raw, without skin & bone, or with bone
4 small uncooked potato(es), (about 1/2 pound) white, purple, or red potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
2 medium carrot(s), cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
1/2 pound(s) asparagus, fresh
1/8 medium lemon(s), or 2 wedges

To start off, I remembered the wrong recipe and defrosted twice as much chicken as I was I needed...then we didn't have whole-grain dijon....

1.  Preheat the oven to 400º and spray a 9"x13" with cooking spray.  Since I doubled, I had to spray a 7"x9" as well....

1a. Chop the potatoes into 1" cubes and the carrots into 1/2 slices.

2.  Mix the mustard, tarragon, garlic, oil, honey, and salt in a medium mixing bowl.  Add the chicken; toss to coat.

3.  Arrange the chicken, breast-side up, in the baking dish.  Put the potatoes and carrots in the remaining "sauce" and toss to coat.  Arrange the potatoes and carrots around the chicken breasts.  Roast for 25 minutes

4.  While that is roasting, trim and discard the tough ends of the sparrow's grass (aka asparagus) and then cut into appx 2" lengths.  When the 25 minutes is up, add the sparrow's grass to the dish and stir to coat it in the "marinade".

5.  Cook another 12 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer reads 170º and the vegetables are tender.

Ok, here's where the tricky part comes in with my oven.  The chicken was at 170 and the vegetables were "tender"....but the potatoes weren't cooked all the way.  The carrots and sparrow's grass were fine, but the potatoes....not so much.

BGS liked it and I suppose that's all that really matters.  It was very tasty.  All in all a good recipe, but I think next time I might cook the potatoes separate and add more carrots.  Oh....and I won't double the chicken the next time.....it got chewy when re-heated in the microwave.

No comments:

Post a Comment