Ginger and Licorice

Ginger and Licorice
Our cats and Labrador

Sunday, March 1, 2015

So far so good, after a change of course

Prepping for the week, I made the biscuits for my pulled pork today.  I used the recipe from paleonewbie.com.  New recipe to me, and I didn't have all flours listed, so I used what I had on hand.
At this point, I did think of using GF Bisquick, but then realized that there is already leavening in the Bisquik, so I put that right back in the fridge.

I didn't have coconut or tapioca flour, so I substituted an all-purpose flour that I always keep on hand.

The recipe directions are straightforward and simple.
The players for my version of the biscuits are 1 1/4 Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose Flour, 1/3 cup Bob's Red Mill Almond Meal, 1 tsp salt, 2 tbsp Ground Flax, and 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp raw honey, 1/4 cup almond milk, 2 whisked eggs, and 1/4 cup melted butter.

Score 1 pt for me.  I actually remembered to turn the oven on to 350 F before I started mixing!  SCORE!!
1 More point for grabbing the cookie sheet and lining it with the parchment paper!  So far, I'm 2-0!!

I then grab two bowls from the cupboard for mixing the wet and dry separately.  I also grab and a small glass dish for cracking eggs and one of my soup bowls for melting the butter.

In one bowl I measure the 1 1/4 cup of general purpose flour, 1/3 cup almond flour, 1 tsp salt, 2 tbsp ground flax seeds, and 1 tsp baking soda (yes, I am well aware that the baking soda is one of the boxes for keeping your refrigerator, but that was the only box I could locate.)  I grab a whisk to combine the dry ingredients and make sure everything is well blended.

In my microwave bowl, I drop 1/4 cup of butter, stick it in the microwave.  Heat it for 20 seconds.   Then 15.  And another 15.  Perfectly melted with no explosions!  While the butter is melting, I crack the eggs in the small glass dish. Are there shell bits?  No.  Good!  Add them to the empty bowl for the wet ingredients.  Measure 1/4 cup of almond milk and add it to the eggs.  Next step is to spray my measuring spoon with non-stick spray and squeeze the honey bear's stomach for the golden sweetness that is preferred in paleo cooking.  Grab the butter from the microwave and add it to the eggs, honey, and milk.  Mix all the wet ingredients together with a small whisk.

Since the dry ingredient bowl is the larger bowl, I add the wet to the dry and then use one of my many wooden spoons to mix my biscuits.  At this point I look at the recipe and realize I messed up by adding the butter to the wet ingredients.  I was supposed to add the butter after the other wet ingredients.  Not sure why, but it's too late now.  Following the directions, I let the batter rest for 5 minutes (pour a glass of juice).  Return to mixing for a few minutes (at this point the batter is a LOT too stiff and dry so I add a splash of almond milk.  Mix twice and add another splash.  Once it is nice an moist I use my ice cream disher to scoop the biscuit dough into 6 relatively even sized biscuits and place the cookie tray in the oven and set the timer to 13 minutes.

While they are baking, I clean the prep station and turn my attention to tonight's dinner.  I planned on salmon and asparagus, but.......

 Somebody (probably me) forgot to get the rosemary for the salmon, but luckily I used my brain and some pantry staples to make a compound butter of 1/2 stick of butter, 1 shallot, zest of 3/4 lemon, and 1/2 tsp of a dried dill spice mixture.

Get out the mini electric chopper and whiz the shallot to a large mince.  add the garlic and whiz again.  Bzzzzzz.  Add the semi-softened butter, bzzzzzz.  Add the lemon zest.  bzzzzz

By this point, the biscuits are done and I turn the oven off.

Obtain the salmon and asparagus for dinner from the fridge.  After removing the woody stems from the asparagus, I place the asparagus on a cookie sheet lined with tinfoil and drizzle olive oil over the green stalks of goodness.

Pause here to take the buns/biscuits out of the oven and then turn the oven back on and set it to 425 for the roasting of the asparagus.

 Then I  grind a little salt and black pepper over the asparagus and proceed to toss the olive oil, salt and pepper to make sure every stalk is coated for roasting.   I place the salmon filet inside a tinfoil lined pyrex dish and dot the compound butter on the top.  I say dot, because the butter isn't quite soft enough for spreading and attempting to do so would most likely break the flesh of the salmon.  I proceed to tent the tinfoil around and over  the salmon.  *BEEP*  Place the salmon on the lower rack and set the timer for 10 minutes..*tidy up a little* *BEEP*  Place the asparagus cookie tray on the top rack and set the timer again.  This time for 15 minutes.  I obtain 2 microwave sweet potatoes from the fridge and place them in the microwave and nuke them for 12 minutes.


set myself down on the couch for some well-earned rest between beeps

*BEEP*  *BEEP *BEEP*

BGS!!! DINNER!!!

Overall the taste was good.  Not remarkable, but not as horrendous as last month when I cooked the salmon with the lemon slices on top of the salmon.  That version came out sour as all get out and inedible.

Sorry there are no pictures of tonight's dinner, I was so focused on just making it and creating a recipe, I forgot about pictures altogether.




No comments:

Post a Comment