Ginger and Licorice

Ginger and Licorice
Our cats and Labrador

Monday, March 2, 2015

Maple-Walnut Chicken: doing well so far, but it IS only Monday

Another late post with no pictures.  Sorry about that.  Maple-Walnut Chicken with Steamed Green beans.

The players: olive oil, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper, and fresh thyme.

BGS walks downstairs and gives me a glare "It's too much sugar.  I told you that already.    It isn't too much sugar.  "What's that green stuff?". "Fresh thyme.  I told you I don't like that.  Just eat it.  hrmpf.
Turns out I added WAY too much thyme :(

And now to finish the grocery list and menu plan for the week.  And try some other paleo recipe sites.

I was rather enjoying not having to search for recipes or think about what to eat every week, but I'm getting a little bored and stifled repeating what feels like the same recipe every 3-4 weeks.

Oh and I can't forget to set the Overnight oatmeal.

I got the idea from Alton Brown's episode "Oat Cuisine" but the figs didn't really peak my interest, but the great Google helped me find a wonderfully amazing overnight oatmeal recipe that has apples as the main recipe but she also lists multiple variations.  I haven't tried them yet, because well, because I like apples just so darn much.  The cherry and pumpkin do look mighty tasty, though.  I have a firm stance against pumpkin outside of the fall season, but I just might have to make an exception for the oatmeal.

Ok, back to MY oatmeal.

I use my small 2-qt slow-cooker so that the oatmeal doesn't burn - again.  It did burn the first time I made it in my 5-qt.   That's why we bought the 3-qt from Cuisinart.

I often think about setting it up before I am ready to turn it on, so I measure the liquids and pour them into a Rubbermaid jug so they are ready to go when I'm ready to turn my breakfast on for cooking.  Into the jug I add 1 1/2 cups almond milk, 1 1/2 cups filtered tap water, 2 tablespoons of maple syrup, and my recent addition is 2 tablespoons of Pom Wonderful Blueberry-Pomegranate Juice.  I don't notice the taste, but I just know those anti-oxidants are working their magic :)

I first spray the crock with cooking spray so that I can obtain my tasty goodness in the morning.  Next step is to measure 1 cup of Bob's Steel-Cut oats into the crock.  I then top the oats with 2 tbsp of flax meal, 1/2 tsp of cinnamon, 1/4 tsp of salt, and approximately 1/4 tsp of freshly grated nutmeg, and 2 tbsp of apple sauce.  (I know the recipe says butter, but I have always made it with applesauce and it comes out fine - in fact, I often substitute applesauce in my baked good when I know it is a suitable substitute).  
After the apple sauce is in, I chop 2 apples, usually gala or fuji,  into approximately 1/2 inch pieces and tumble them on top.

The last step is to pour on the liquid, stir the mix and put the lid on.  I was setting the timer for 7 hours on low, but every so often...ok...more often than not, I would wake up the warm setting was already active and the oatmeal was starting to burn,  so I bought a simple light timer and set it  for 7 hours.  Problem solved!

No comments:

Post a Comment