Ginger and Licorice

Ginger and Licorice
Our cats and Labrador

Monday, March 21, 2011

At Home Chinese Dinner Revisited - Chinese Braised Shrimp, Broccoli and Noodles

My husband like the braised beef so much I thought I would try it with another protein - shrimp, but I wanted a veggie this time also, so I added broccoli.  For this giant dish I used my wok :)

Today's Players: - same as last time except for the shrimp
1 lb  raw 35-40 ct frozen shrimp - defrosted
1 -  Manischewitz Egg Noodles Fine (12 oz pkg)
1 10-oz bag steam-ready broccoli
1 clove garlic - crushed
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp fresh ginger, grated
1/4 tsp five-spice powder
2 1/2 tablespoons oil - I used sesame
1/2 cup soy sauce - I used low sodium
1/2 cup chicken broth - again, low sodium
2 tsp cornstarch
4 tsp water

1.Defrost the shrimp according to packaging - then peel


2. Steam the shrimp according to packaging - make sure to drain the excess water from the broccoli before adding to the dish


3. Cook the noodles in salted boiling water until just tender, then drain and rinse under cold water - to stop the cooking

4. Mix together the garlic, salt, ginger, five-spice powder and add to the thawed shrimp - I used my hands to make sure the shrimp get the spices all over

5.  Heat the oil and saute the shrimp over high heat for until pink - abt 4-5 minutes


6. Mix the soy sauce and chicken broth together and add to the shrimp


7. Mix together the cornstarch and water - stir thoroughly - and stir into the shrimp.  Stir and cook beef until the sauce is smooth and thick.

8.  Gently fold (so as to avoid a massive mess) the noodles, mix well and heat through


9.  Gently fold the broccoli into the dish.


10. Serve immediately



This time the majority of my prep time went to peeling the shrimp.  After that it was a piece of cake and it turned out ok.  The shrimp absorbed a lot of the salt from the soy sauce, so I think when I make this again I might cook the shrimp separately and add them with the broccoli at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment